In December 2022, the Dubai Ruler, Vice President, and Prime Minister, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, approved the second phase of the Dubai Master Plan.
He also reviewed the progress of 17 projects from the initial phase of the plan. His Highness said, “Today, we have a clear vision for the development of Dubai’s urban infrastructure and housing sector until 2040. Our goal is for Dubai to be an eco- and pedestrian-friendly city, and a city with a high yield from urban agriculture.”
His Highness was briefed by His Excellency Mattar Al Tayer, the Commissioner General for Infrastructure, Urban Planning and Well-Being Pillar, and Chair of the Supreme Committee of Urban Planning in Dubai.
What is the Dubai Urban Master Plan?
The Dubai 2040 Urban Master Plan is a government plan to turn Dubai into the best city to live in in the world.
Thus far, 17 projects are complete or soon to be completed. The Supreme Committee of Urban Planning in Dubai completed 6 projects, which includes Dubai’s National Housing Policy and the Hatta Development Master Plan. The Hatta Development Master Plan was designed to enhance well-being and offer investment opportunities to Dubai residents. It will also support tourism, strengthen private partnerships, and preserve nature.
Other completed projects from Phase I was the drafting of the Urban Planning Law and the Dubai Countryside and Rural Areas Development Master Plan.
What does Phase II consist of?
Phase II of the Urban Master Plan contains 10 key initiatives, each with several projects that will advance Dubai in several areas:
- Enhance Urban Centers – Phase II will develop 3 existing urban centers and develop 2 new urban centers in Dubai.
- Dubai Real Estate Strategy – This is a strategy that will align Dubai Real Estate with the requirements of the Master Plan, to ensure there is a balance between supply and demand, ensuring urban development is done thoughtfully to ensure sustainability and keep investor confidence.
- Urban Farming Plan – The Master Plan also includes an outline for high-yield agriculture, with plans to identify suitable locations for the development of facilities and infrastructure that will provide the city with food security.
- Preserving Urban Heritage Plan – The plan also plans to preserve the urban heritage of Dubai, promoting historical areas, landmarks, and buildings. The aim is to develop the emirate’s identity and develop key archeological sites into tourist hotspots.
- Developing the 20-Minute City Policy – This policy intends to ensure Dubai becomes and stays a city where everyone can reach their destination within 20 minutes, provided they’re traveling by foot or bicycle. By developing mass transit systems, the city can grow in number without sacrificing resident convenience.
- Pedestrian Network Master Plan – This part of the Master Plan, in tandem with the above policy and other aspects of the plan, intends to ensure that the city is designed to be a beautiful and relaxing place to navigate on foot. The plan outlines plans to develop green corridors in alleyways, squares, and spaces between buildings. It will also ensure the city can be crossed easily with interconnected pathways.
What does the Dubai Master Plan mean for residents and investors?
For our clients who are thinking about relocating to Dubai, have already done so, or are in the process of doing so, this Master Plan only brings good news. The aim of the Master Plan is to create a city that is self-sustaining and provides its residents and visitors with an even higher quality of life than the city is already famous for.
The city’s infrastructure will be further modernized, whilst respecting areas of historical importance. The growing real estate in Dubai will be carefully managed, and investment encouraged. Dubai is already considered a global center and a popular tourist destination, and the plan will only serve to enhance both business and tourism in the city over the coming decades.
Now is a great time to make the move to Dubai. There is more opportunity than ever before, you can get to just about anywhere in the world within twelve hours, and property prices are set to steadily increase.
Making the Move? We Can Help
If you’ve been thinking about relocating to Dubai, we’re here to help. We help successful people expand their businesses with confidence, secure their wealth for the future, and experience a higher quality of life than they’ve ever had before. To find out more or to start the process of relocating to Dubai, click here.